Friday, April 20, 2007

shhh! be quiet I can't hear

Last weekend I took a leisurely stroll to our local Hoboken movie theater to escape for a while and catch a flick. It was the first time I was there, and I have to be honest, it wasn't all that great of a cineplex. For starters, the screen was so small you could barely even see it. And there seemed to be something wrong with the ventilation system. It was freezing in there! Also, I don't know about you, but I can't seem to forget what's going on around me and get lost in a movie when you can clearly hear every car, truck and bus going by. Kind of ruins the mood. And on top of that, the don't even carry my favorite candy: Snickers Pop'ables! The facade could use a little sprucing up too. Here's a pic:


Seriously though, this is where our future 5 screen movie theater is going. It was approved last spring, and the final designs are being tweaked to accommodate everyone's issues and concerns. This movie theater is hotly anticipated, and we cannot WAIT until it is built - imagine a 5 minute walk to the movies?!

Until then, northwestern Hobokeners have two options:

1. "Movies Under the Stars" which is presented by Mayor David Roberts, the City of Hoboken & Toll Brothers. FREE outdoor movie screenings overlooking the Hudson River which take place in Pier A Park, at the East most end of the Park on the Lawn off First Street and Frank Sinatra Drive. Movies begin @ 9pm in June & July and 8:15pm in August. A blanket or low-back chair is recommended. If you'd like more info you can call 201-420-2207 or click here for a list of the upcoming movies. Some of which are surprisingly good!

2. Hop on the light rail and zip on over the the Newport Center Mall. It's a 5 minute trip. No big deal.

AMC Loews Newport Centre 11
30-300 Mall Drive West, Jersey City, NJ 07303

Click here for a google map of where the movie theater is.


UPDATE: During my search for an image of Snickers Pop'ables I discovered the devastating news that Mars has stopped making Pop'ables in all flavors. I'm totally at a loss. Click here to read about it. So sad.

No comments: